[K12OSN] Fl_Teachers_Tool

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Nov 21 04:06:10 UTC 2006

Eric Harrison wrote:
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>> On 11/20/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps it would be better to think of this as an "attendance list". The
>>> teacher creates an "attendance list" that contains all of the students
>>
>> Yes, this was my initial thought also but I changed my mind as it has
>> too many down sides.
>

> Why not do both? Depending on the situation, one will be preferable over
> the other...

Back from dinner... here is a bit more verbose description of what I had
in mind ;-)

I see several different ways it would be useful to get a list of users:

1) get a list of all users that are logged in (current method)

2) get a list of users logged in by location (the terminal MAC address
method)

3) get a list of users logged in by group (such as "getent group $GROUP
| cut -d: -f4")

4) a list of users (picked from "getent passwd | cut -d: -f1" ?)

For #2 & #3, there could be a "add more users" button that calls #4

Each user can save their filters/lists, i.e. Mrs. Smith can create and
save her own "Math" filter that includes all users in the math group, an
"English tutoring" filter that includes jdoe, ksmith, and gbush, etc,
etc. Maybe even allowing combining rules and also allowing negation
(i.e. users in the "math" group, but not currently logged into the
"reading" lab, plus jdoe and ksmith)

Oh, and make it all very easy to use, allow arbitrarily complex filters,
and have a compact, simple interface - preferably just a single button
that does all of this. ;-)

-Eric