[K12OSN] K12LTSP FC5 server + Edubuntu 6.06.1 LTS server = No boot

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 21 15:44:38 UTC 2006

My guess is that the Edubuntu server is based off of the project Muekow LTSP
implementation and that the FC5 server is based off the old fashioned LTSP
methods.  I'll bet that the boot process for the two is different and that is
why a single dhcp server is not working for both.  I am not familiar the
particulars of each method, but I think this would be a good place to start.

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:13:08 +0200, Mella wrote
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying put together FC5 and Edubuntu but no success.
> Separately, if server is only DHCP server in network, all seems OK.
> IBM T21 client boot to Edubuntu perfectly. If I shut down this dhcp
> service and add specific workstation section to FC5 server's dhcp
> conf, client stops in the mid of boot.
>
> I see graphical Edubuntu bootup, then "configuring LTSP", then come
> messages (see below) an after that i see blank screen with cursor in
> upper left corner. And that's it.
>
> If I try put together 2xFC5 servers with one DHCP server, all
> working OK.
>
> I don't have ideas how continue.
>
> dhcp ws section in FC server:
>
>     host ws192 {
>         next-server      192.168.1.13; # Edubuntu server ip
>         hardware ethernet     00:03:47:0f:cc:9f;
>         fixed-address         192.168.1.192;
>   filename "/ltsp/pxelinux.0";
>   option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
>
>     }
>
> Message before blank screen:
>
> Setting up LTSP client
> WARNING: /var/cache/man does not exist
> WARNING: /etc/hotplug/.run does not exist
> WARNING: /var/lib/xfree86 does not exist
> xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised
> configuration file;
>     backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.xxxxxxxx
> um: Read-only file system
> * INIT: Entering runlevel: 2 [OK]
> * Starting LTSP client... [OK]
> Starting NBD client process:

> --
> dangerous content by the Cotter Technology
> Department, and is believed to be clean.

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188