[K12OSN] Can send, but not receive, emails from clients

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Wed Nov 22 01:32:57 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I mentioned this a while back, but after a complete fresh upgrade
(install on new server) to K12ltsp 5.0.0 I'm still having this crazy
problem.

I can set up my own personal email account in Thunderbird on the
client.  I can send email, but I can't receive it.  I'm using all the
same settings that work on my Win2K workstation on the same LAN and it
doesn't work.  I've tried dropping the firewall completely on the
k12ltsp box and it still doesn't work.  Has anyone heard of this problem
or know how to fix it?  One thing that's really wierd with T-Bird is
that there's not really any clear place to put the password and it never
asks me for one when I try to check my email.  There's no error message
or anything.  What's a procedure to troubleshoot this.  I've tried other
email programs (2 of them) on the client and I have the same problem.
Does my login password on the client need to be the same as the login
for my email server?

I tried calling my ISP for tech support, linux is not supported and thin
clients are literally unheard of.

This is driving me crazy AND making me feel like an idiot.  Does anyone
have any ideas?

ck