[K12OSN] smbldap-installer can not bind to ldap server

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Thu Nov 23 15:00:14 UTC 2006

Hello ALL,

I have setup the latest smbldap-installer on a fresh install K12LTSp v5.
Everything appeared to go fine via the install script. I then went to Matt
Omquist site for more detailed info on post setup hwo to's.
** probelm(s):
1. When i do the /home setup per MaOmq homepage, to be mounted via nfs
when i do the "mount -a" i get permission denied.
2. In webmin Ldap module i have in the module config: /etc/ldap.conf for
ldap client. For ROOT ldap client password the default is set to
/etc/ldap.secrets,,, This doe not exist. Where should i derive the Root
ldap password from? (file name),So,, when i do a "validate Ldap server "
button,I get the following error message.
" Connecting to LDAP server ..
.. connection failed : Failed to bind to LDAP server 127.0.0.1 as
cn=nssldap,ou=DSA,dc=xyz,dc=net : No password, did you mean noauth or
anonymous ?
Does the above syntax look correct for the Root Ldap base, etc?
Also when trying to join a windows xp client to this samba domain i get
simply "Domain does not exist " error. Nothing shows up in samba logs on
server pertaining to the client even trying to join. I can ping the server
from the client no probs. I used Ethereal to try and determine were
net_join_ fails but can not decypher Ethereal?
Ideas?
Thanks,

Barry Cisna

westcentral school