[K12OSN] Print Management for K12LTSP

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Nov 29 08:42:38 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 19:58, Ryan Hackl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm just wondering if there is something for k12ltsp that would work as a
> print manager, allowing administrators to limit (or track) the number of
> pages that users print.  For instance, does PyKota have an RPM that would
> be easy to implement in k12ltsp?
>
> This would greatly help schools in our area start to control the amount of
> 'wasted' paper that is currently printed by users...

Pykota is not that difficult to implement.  There is a dependancy issue, which
is not (IMHO) covered well in Jerome Alets documentation.  These are covered
in my install log here http://www.openhgs.org.uk/it.cgi/PyKota.  I have
recently upgraded our site to the latest version and there are more
dependancy issues, which are detailed in the update log
www.openhgs.org.uk/it.cgi/Skinner (the final section).

We have seen a significant drop in paper usage since I implemented PyKota,
almost 2 years ago.

A recent posting to the PyKota mailing list, RPMS will be available soon
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.printing.pykota.user/4374/match=rpms

You can also use the standard CUPS printer quota facility to limit the number
of pages printed.  For example, the command :
lpadmin -p colour20 -o job-quota-period=86400 -o job-page-limit=5
limits every user to 5 pages per day on printer colour20.  However, you cannot
control individual users or groups of users using these CUPS features
(AFAIK), so PyKota is a far superior solution.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation