[K12OSN] Catch 22: Server Video Card gone bad... what now?

Darryl Palmer dpalmerjr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 16:40:20 UTC 2006

On 9/30/06, David Trask <dtrask at vcsvikings.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the command line or terminal command is, but to enable
> root logins from the terminal....simply go to  "system" > "Administration"
> > "login screen" > "security tab" and enable remote system administrator
> logins....
>
> That's it!  :-)
>
> OH!  to invoke it on the command line go to
>
> gdmsetup   (you'll need to be on the server or a thin-client....or VNC'd
> into the server)

VNC is really neat, it uses a "virtual framebuffer".  This means that you
can run vncserver on your machine even if the video card itself doesn't work
correctly, the only thing that it requires is that you have a nicely formed
Xorg config file.  In case your video/monitor blows out, it is a nice way to
be able to run your GUI scripts and programs until you can get a
replacement.

Darryl