[K12OSN] how do I get single ldap domain across multiple subnets working?

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 15:00:36 UTC 2006

hi everyone!

We have a few K12LTSP servers at our school, each running the version based on FC5.  We've also used the smbldap-installer to setup centralized user management, which has been working pretty well.

Here's an overview of our server setup:

server A => 1 NIC, configured as PDC (on the school's main internal network/subnet)
server B => 2 NIC, configured as BDC
server C => 2 NIC, configured as LDAP Client (and NOT as a BDC)

All three servers have a NIC on the main subnet.  And all are running thin clients on their respective subnets.  For those Windows PCs connected to the main subnet, they're authenticating okay against the domain.  Servers B and C are classroom thin client servers, whereas server A handles the rest of the campus (definitely not large).

I've recently added a Windows 2000 PC to the subnet run by server C.  This PC used to be on the main subnet, and while there domain logins worked perfectly.  However, now that it's on the subnet run by server C, it is unable to authenticate to the domain, but I do want it to be able to do that.

Does anyone have ideas on what I should do, or can at least point me to relevant information on the Internet?  Do I simply need to change server C to be a second BDC?

Thanks in advance!

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)