[K12OSN] IceWM as default desktop

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Oct 9 13:19:42 UTC 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 1:30 PM, Mikko Jordman wrote:
> A very straight forward howto would be nice!

The method I used probably breaks a lot of stuff, but it works well
for me.  Here's what I did (critique welcomed):

1. Switch to KDM (I like login & password boxes both on the screen).
To do this, add an entry in /etc/sysconfig/desktop that reads:
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

2. mv /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession.original

3. create a new /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession with the following lines:

#!/bin/bash
. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common
exec nautilus -n &
exec /usr/bin/icewm

4. make it executable (chmod +x /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession)

I think that was it...  It disables EVERYTHING else, even though
other options are listed (like Gnome, etc).  Regardless of what you
choose, you get icewm.

Like I said, it's a major hackjob, but it's truthfully what I did to
get icewm as default.  Oh, you need to reboot to get everything
going.  (OK, that's not entirely true, this IS Linux -- but rebooting
is a very simple way to get it all working...)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director