[K12OSN] Advocacy: barriers to adoption (was LTSP presentation to Ed tech

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 12 18:53:42 UTC 2006

Tom Hoffman wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 10/11/06, Joe Guenther <jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca> wrote:
>> >
>> > I really agree with David Trask...  My presentation is not full of FOSS
>> evangelism.  That is NOT why I use an open source solution. I use it
>> because
>> it works the best.  What OTHER solution is there to use old iMacs as thin
>> clients?  you tell me!  We could setup a Windows terminal server, as
>> suggested by our School Division Director of IT, but then we would
>> have to
>> buy clients.  We use this solution because it works with our existing
>> workstations.  AND because it is economical to "license"  AND it does
>> all we
>> need it to do.
>>
>> I agree with David also. However, when it's already implemented by
>> someone
>> like yourself the higher ups are happy and supportive. But when they are
>> faced with the decision to implement it from the top down (not from the
>> bottom up as it is most of the time) then they become much more
>> interested
>> in the license. It's been my experience that this is when they get
>> cold feet
>> because they don't completely understand (believe in) FOSS. However, I
>> completely agree that the limited time you have to present should be
>> spent
>> on demonstrating the software not FOSS evengelism. But at some point
>> in the
>> future the concept of FOSS is going to come up if they want to offer
>> it as
>> an option to schools.
>
> Right.  Experience seems to show that leading with a very simple,
> hands on, practical approach is best for getting one's foot in the
> door, but also a second wave of more sophisticated FOSS advocacy is
> necessary.  I've tried to address this in a proposal I just sumbitted
> to NECC, and perhaps might try to make at more regional conferences
> next year.
>
> My proposal:  http://tuttlesvc.teacherhosting.com/wordpress/?p=201
>
> Also, I know this is a FAQ, but I can't find the FAQ: how do I set up
> iMacs as thin clients?
>
> --Tom

Hold down the N key while the Mac boots and it will attempt to boot from the network.
To make it always network boot, boot the Mac OS and go into some system config tool
which I forget to tell it to boot from the network rather than the hard drive.  In my
mind I can see the screen necessary but I can't remember what it's called.

Petre