[K12OSN] gstreamer properties woes

Barry R Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Sat Oct 14 00:52:39 UTC 2006

Hello List,

After my fresh install of K12LTSP 5.0 im having difficulties making
Rhythmbox work. After a lot of digging I've found that when launching
gstreamer-properties from the command line is has lots of errors
showing :

(gstreamer-properties:5740): gstreamer-properties-WARNING **:
gst_properties_gconf_set_string() error: Can't overwrite existing
read-only value: Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for
`/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosrc' set in a read-only source at
the front of your configuration path

(gstreamer-properties:5740): gstreamer-properties-WARNING **:
gst_properties_gconf_set_string() error: Can't overwrite existing
read-only value: Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for
`/system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosrc' set in a read-only source at
the front of your configuration path
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'polypsrc'

Also trying to change from the default " Autodetect" sound to ESD in
"Mulitimedia System Selector/ (gstreamer-properties),after closing the
dialog box and reopening it,, it has changed back to the defualt
"Autodetect".
I seen a howto,,similar to this by using gconf-editor and changing the
>system>gstreamer0.10>default>audiosink,,value to esdsink but i can not
make the changes this way either? I get dialog box saying "You do not
have permission to change this"? i tried both as user Joe and as root.
I was going to remove gstremer rpm and redo all this but i have to UNdo
tons of things to get gstreamer uninstalled/installed:(.
Im guessing i need to hand edit a gconf.xml file someplace/somewere,,but
dont have a clue were?..:)

Anyone run into  this before? I've always gotten Rhythmbox to work with
MP3 support in the past. BTW  XMMS works fine on this server as it does
not use gstreamer as the sound "feeder".

Thanks,

Barry Cisna