[K12OSN] FC5 now legacy?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:08:09 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 08:06, Michael Blinn wrote:
> > I can still update packages from the other repositories as long as I skip
> > the broken "core" with the yum "--disablerepo=core" flag. I just hope
> > they fix the problem soon.
>
> The "problem" to which you refer is thousands of people hitting the
> servers simultaneously.
>
> It can be "fixed" by following the first link on the front page of
> fedorasolved.org - using lesser-hit mirror lists will let you pick up
> the proper mirrors.
>
> -Michael

Actually there is more to it than the sites being overwhelmed with traffic.
When attempting to download FC6 I didn't get a "timed out" message, I got a
"404" (not found) message. The mirrors work because their networks aren't
being re-arranged.

The same problem is being seen at the fedora legacy respositories (I have and
FC4 machine that uses it). I think that Fedora and RedHat are moving the
location of many websites.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |