[K12OSN] root-path or dhcp issue but only after 2nd client connection

marrandy marrandy at chaossolutions.org
Tue Oct 31 00:04:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 12:15, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 10:48 -0400, marrandy wrote:
> > Oh...the Subject should read   "root-path or dhcp issue but only after
> > rebboting client second time"
> >
> > Otherwise, it implies it happens when I add a second client.  I only have
> > one client and it's the second and subsequent reboots of that single
> > client.
> >
> > Hope that's clearer.
>
> Has it only worked once, ever?  Or does the client work again after
> waiting some amount of time?   Do you have other clients to test?
> Perhaps it is a bios issue on this client - I've seen some old Dells
> that would fail randomly until I did a flash upgrade to the bios.

Hi les.

I'm sorry but I've reformatted the hard drive for something else at the
moment.  I will have to buy another H/D and come back to the issue.

I thought I had been pretty clear but it looks like there is some  'wiggle
room'  in what I said.

The k12 test server has two cards.  One is connected to a 192.168.1.x subnet.

As I said, I did a ping yahoo.com and pulled the cable from the k12 server and
the ping stopped.  This means the k12 server is now isolated from other
networks.

The other ethernet card goes to a 4-way switch siting on top of the k12
server.

A second cable comes from the 4-way switch to a pxe terminal.

It gives the message, only after the second boot from the install.

I'm redoing the network (luckily, it's small) and moving everything to static
and will start over, probably next week when I get another H/D.

wash, rinse, do again ;-)

--
Regards...Martin