[K12OSN] Is ther a...?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Oct 1 01:51:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 11:10 -0600, John P. Conlon wrote:
> Okay and then which commands should I enter to get the terminal to tell
> me about itself?

From a command line, the area with the info you want is /proc . This
houses details data about everything hardware (and kernel-wise) on the
system. ioports has all of the ports, interrrupts has all the
interrupts. They are all text "files" that can be "read" using
"less /proc/ioports" , etc.

Another useful command is /sbin/lspci . It will tell what is plugged
into the pci sockets on the motherboard. Its sister command /sbin/lsusb
does the same for the USB bus.

A cautionary note: most places in /proc are read only. A few are
run-time kernel variables that if set improperly will cause strange
things to happen. If those need to be set, the place to do it
in /etc/sysctl. It will happen at bootup.