[K12OSN] Catch 22: Server Video Card gone bad... what now?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Oct 2 13:38:14 UTC 2006

Rita Gibson wrote:
> ahodson at elp.rr.com wrote:
>> Seems like this week is the bad-news week for my systems...
>>
>> Not one, but two K12LTSP V5 servers (same site!) have no video signal
>> (black screen, amber monitor light). One of them is not providing dhcp,
>> the second one is ok (client wise)
>> My question to the gurus here is, what "su" command or configuration
>> change can I use to allow ROOT to login from a client?
>
> We are still on 4.* but on our network we ssh to the server from the
> client, or server to server, as ourselves, rgibson for example, and then
> su to root when we are logged into the server.  Perhaps things are set
> up differently in this new installation, maybe ssh is not enabled?
> Forgive me if this is a dumb response, I am always afraid to attempt to
> "help" on the list, but I'm going to try to respond to things I think I
> know the answer to -- attempt to step outside of my comfort zone.
>
> Rita Gibson
> RMSELTech

Multiple responses, even if seemingly redundant, are a good thing.  Each answer will be,
obviously, worded slightly differently, and as such, one of those answers may be the
'magic' one that makes the most sense to the person who posted the question.  Since the
archive of the list serves as after-the-fact documentation, multiple answers help make
that documentation more complete.  Sometimes the first answer is short and simple and
accurate, while a subsequent answer is more complete, but slightly inaccurate, which
inspires another response correcting the previous mistake, or inspiring yet further
discussion.  All of this provides a much greater explanation and solution to the problem
at hand.  So, don't be afraid to try to help!

Petre