[K12OSN] X locking up a server.

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Oct 5 15:53:11 UTC 2006

Doug Simpson wrote:
> I have a wierd problem.
>
> I have a FC3 K12LTSP server that when booting, if you have it set to
> boot to runlevel 5 (graphical login) it gets to the point where it
> starts X and locks up the server. Hard lock.  You can't get different
> consoles and you can't shell in or anything.
>
> If it is set to boot to runlevel 3, it will boot and run fine.  Login
> and startx and X will run, but when you try to logout, it hard-locks the
> server that way, too.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?
>
> Thanks!

I've had a dying video card do this to me. If you have a spare card
laying around, try swapping it out.

Worse-case, you tell the server to not startup X in run level 5. Edit
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf  and comment out this line:

	# 0=/usr/bin/X11/X,#0=/usr/bin/X11/X

if you use XDM or KDM, edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and comment out

	#:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

-Eric