[K12OSN] SMBLDAP question

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Fri Oct 6 04:03:53 UTC 2006

"Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
writes:
>I have a really dumb question; I am hoping maybe David Trask or some
>other kind soul can help me:
>
>I have a lab set up with Edubuntu workstations and a Ubuntu server.  We
>use SMBLDAP to authenticate student logins on the server.
>
>The guy who helped me set it up sent me some directions; the first thing
>it tells me to do is mv /home/administrator /administrator and then
>usermod -d /administrator.  We make "admin" a local login and
>administrator a server login.

Wow, this is the hard way....just log in as root or at least "sudo" ( you
may need to tweak the sudoers file) and then just 'git 'er done....your
scenario you describe above is just too cumbersome

>When I do this, I can no longer run anything, particularly the users &
>groups GUI or the Synaptic Package Manager.
>
>My question is, is there a way to make these things run without the
>existence of the /home/administrator directory?

Yeah....as root.  Just be careful.

>Any other ideas for ways to make these Edubuntu workstation logins
>authenticate on teh server?  Any ideas for speeding up the computers that
>authenticate really slowly?  I need to set up 2 workstations that puked
>on me; I also have a couple of workstations that take 3+ minutes to log a
>student in.  The other workstations log people in in under 30 sec's.

Wow!  That's long...mine take about 5 seconds.  We're not talking about
booting right?  Mine take 30 secs to boot, but only 5 secs from when the
kid types in a username and password and clicks "OK".  Are you using
gigabit to the server?  Are you using kdm or gdm?  By any chance are the
couple workstation that take forever...Compaqs?  I had an issue a few
years ago with Compaqs and a certain chipset.

>Thanks for any ideas you can share.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School