[K12OSN] dns/bind server sees dsl modem/router as domain name

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Oct 9 13:18:34 UTC 2006

I had the same problem in a small office: pointing a web browser, running on fat desktop
clients (IOW, not LTSP) at the company's domain name produced the login screen to the
admin interface of the DSL bridge from Qwest, which is not what the users wanted.  I did
the same thing you mentioned, setup a DNS zone on the DNS/DHCP/Samba server I installed
in the office.  That zone would provide a local (192.168.x.x) address for the company
domain name.  Since the DNS service was only for internal use, it worked fine.  If the
'host' command returns the public address, then verify that it is querying its own DNS
service and not, say, that of the ISP.  I think the syntax is something like

host name-to-lookup server-to-query

server-to-query is an option which you don't normally have to specify unless you want to
query a specific DNS server, which you do in this case.  HTH.

Petre