[K12OSN] Advocacy: barriers to adoption (was LTSP presentation to Ed tech

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 12 13:42:44 UTC 2006

The site licenses, such as the one Alberta has I suspect, are based on MS's Software
Assurance Policy, which they brought out a few years ago.  They' also offered
significant discounts to schools on those policies.  If you look at the wording of the
policy, you'll find something quite insidious: The cost is calculated on the total
number of PCs the licensee has, whether they are x86/Windows, or Macs, or Linux boxes,
whether they use MS software or not.  This is a brilliant move for MS that is bad for
everyone else, because it removes any advantage a school might get by even _trying_ an
alternative.  You could propose, say, OOo, in just a lab to cut licensing costs by 30
machines.  Except with SAP, you don't save any money because you're paying for MS Office
whether you use it or not.  THAT was one of MS's primary goals with SAP, to remove any
motivation for even trying something else.

People in my office say "We can use SQL server for a project and not have to pay for it
because we have a site license."  Fools.  We pay for it, in the site license, which we
settle up each year, in which they look at how many machines we have running MS stuff.
It may not come out of that particular department's budget, but the company still pays
for it. MS isn't a charity, and like any business, ultimately they're after your money.
  There's nothing wrong with that, as that's the way business works. But if you use
their stuff, one way or another, you'll pay for it.

Petre