[K12OSN] Bringing /home over from previous k12ltsp server

Doug Simpson veewee77 at alltel.net
Fri Oct 13 13:11:37 UTC 2006

Get /home.

then get /etc/passwd, shadow, gshadow, group and various other config
files if they are customized.

It is not recommended that the passwd and group files are just replaced.

In the one from the old server, cut out everything up to where the users
actually start. Then on the new server, cut out everything from where
the users begin.

Then add the contents from the old passwd to the new one and same with
group.

This way, system ownerships will remain the same and user ownerships
will as well.

be sure to get /etc/samba/smbpasswd and secrets if you use samba for
winders connectivity.

Pretty painless after that.

Doug