[K12OSN] Searching for a good pam_mount howto

john lists.john at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 22:49:21 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I am looking for a good howto about getting pam_mount to work with my LTSP
setup.
I see in the archives that several of you have been here before, and that
Chuck has a copy of his pam_mount.conf at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WinIntegration

I am hope that someone can point me to a good step by step for this.
Specifically I would like to know which files in /etc/pam.d/ need to be
edited. Here's what I think needs to be done:

1. install libpam_mount. On Ubuntu 6.06 LTS I did: sudo apt-get install
libpam_mount

2. edit /etc/pam.d/common-pammount, commented out:
#auth       optional   pam_mount.so use_first_pass

and added the following bottom of the file:

auth       required   pam_mount.so use_first_pass
session    optional   pam_mount.so use_first_pass

2. Then I edited /etc/pam.d/gdm to reflect my interpertation of the
directions in /etc/security/pam_mount.conf

#%PAM-1.0
auth    requisite       pam_nologin.so
auth    sufficient      pam_winbind.so
auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so nullok_secure use_first_pass
auth    required        pam_env.so
#added the following line to allow automounting win shares via pam_mount
auth     required  pam_mount.so use_first_pass
@include common-auth
@include common-account
session required        pam_limits.so
session optional pam_console.so
#added the following line to allow automounting win shares via pam_mount
session  optional  pam_mount.so
@include common-session
@include common-pammount

3. I think I am supposed to add something similar to Chucks edits to
/etc/security/pam_mount.conf making changes to reflect my Server, share etc.

volume * smb META1 Students /home/&/WINDOWS/META1
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=0700,workgroup=Ellsworth - -
volume * smb META2 Students /home/&/WINDOWS/META2
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=0700,workgroup=Ellsworth - -
volume * smb META2 Staff /home/&/WINDOWS/STAFF
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=0700,workgroup=Ellsworth - -

4. Then I think I will have something that sort of works. Anyone have
anything to chime in? I haven't had time to do step 3 yet.

Thanks!

John