[K12OSN] Re: LTSP presentation to all Alberta Ed tech leaders conference

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:28:33 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, bear2bar at netscape.net <bear2bar at netscape.net> wrote:

>  Having done battle with the Minister of Education and on down with all
> the school boards in Quebec I lend my entire support to the comment made.
> Not only are the boards "locked in" to M$ but there are incentives from M$
> to make sure that they do not change.
> Having experienced this personally I can say that it will take significant
> pressure to open the large boards to linux, that said the battle goes on...

Ditto. My school just spent well over $10,000 on a district mandated M$ 2003
server (I don't even want to know how much of that is for licensing). It
provides ADS/PDC(LDAP/Samba), IIS(Apache), DHCP(dhcpd) and a M$
nameserver(BIND) . However, the district has decided to use Mambo as the CMS
for the school. Mambo is a Free Open Source CMS which uses PHP/MYSQL. But on
a Windows box!?  I find this oddly humorous. Linux dominates the web with
LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql Php) boxes. When will they learn?

--
Robert Arkiletian