[K12OSN] Uninteruptable Power Supply UPS with Linux

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:10:20 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can APC UPS's  send a shutdown command via  a linux deamon when the main
> power goes out? How is this done?
>  Also I see some of these UPS's have serial cables and some have usb cables.
> Does it use this cable to send the shutdown?

Not directly.  The cable is used for communications with a program on
the computer, and that program (or clients) is responsible for
shutting down the system. If you have a choice, I'd suggest getting
one with a USB cable.

If you're using an APC (IMHO the best of the consumer-quality UPSes),
install apcupsd. If you're using FC5 it's available from the "extras"
repository. I know "nut" and "nut-cgi" are available in the "core"
repository, but I've found apcupsd to be easier to setup (probably due
to its product-specificity).

Calvin