[K12OSN] New K12LTSP 5.0.0 server won't wake up

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Oct 16 19:22:44 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I just installed 5.0.0 on a new server.  This is the first PC I've ever
built from scratch.  MSI Mobo, Dual Core 805 Proc, Gig of Ram, 120Gig
ATA drive.  I mention this because my problem might be in the BIOS which
I've never had to set up from scratch before.  The server is really
working great.  I can't quite pin it down, but the combo of this faster
server and 5.0 is really great (thanks Eric).  The first client I tried
(an old GX110) booted up beautifully with no tweaks to lts.conf!!!

Anyway, one of the few problems I'm having is that when I'm logged into
the server console as root, the server eventually goes to sleep.
Actually it's just the console, the monitor light actually stays green
(and the monitor is hot) but all the button clicking and keyboard
tapping and mouse moving in the world won't "wake it up."  I have to go
in via ssh from another box and do a "shutdown -r now" to regain console
access.

I've tried disabling (and other settings) of power management in the
BIOS.  I've tried turning "go to sleep" to "never" in the Gnome power
management control panel.  I don't really know whether this is a BIOS
thing or Linux thing or both.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how
to fix this?  I guess it won't be much of an issue once the server is up
and running (it runs the clients great in this mode and I won't stay
logged in as root for very long) but while I'm still setting up the
server it's a drag, and I don't want to have to reboot every time I need
console access in the future.

Thanks everybody.

ck