[K12OSN] Stuck User

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Oct 16 20:16:03 UTC 2006

Hi Group,

I had to ditch my /home drive for the time being because it has bad
sectors.  So, I removed the drive and reformatted it thinking I could
just recreate my users.  Now when I add a certain user (that existed
before) her screen comes up completely blank when she logs in, with all
kinds of Gnome errors.  When I look into her /home folder it only has a
.kde directory and a few .files nothing like new users (created after
the drive swap) that have a .kde .gnome, etc., etc. files and folders in
their /home directories.

So, how do I completely get these old users out of the system so I can
start over.  I tried System->Administration->Users and Groups and I
tried userdel -r <username> from the command line.   (and I've tried
Google)  Both of these delete the user from /etc/shadow and remove the
/home directory.  But when I recreate the user her /home directory is
missing most of the stuff.  I've never seen this before, but I'm sure
somebody has a one liner fix for this.

Thanks in advance.

ck