[K12OSN] student:computer - studies to reference?

Ryan Collins mr.rcollins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 00:42:51 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, Matt Oquist <moquist at majen.net> wrote:
> The committee chairman (a school board member) insightfully asked if
> I could find out about such studies and report back at our next
> meeting -- so now I'm asking all of you. I've done some googling and
> I'll do some more, but what studies (formal and informal, but I'm
> looking for more than just opinions) do you know of that communicate
> concrete results such as (NOTE: I'M MAKING THIS UP as an EXAMPLE!):
>   "Moving from a 10:1 student:computer ratio to a 2:1 ratio is 75%
>   more likely to result in a 20% increase in math standardized test
>   scores than moving instead to a 5:1 ratio."

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.mff.org/publications/publications.taf?page=155

Interesting on the breakdown of classroom versus lab settings:
"Students who had access to BS/CE computer in their classrooms [...]
did significantly better than students who were taught with BS/CE
equipment in lab settings."

--
Ryan Collins
Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools