[K12OSN] Uninteruptable Power Supply UPS with Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Oct 17 03:07:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 13:04 -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On 10/16/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >  Why do you recommend usb over serial?
>
> The cheaper APCs don't do true serial communication (i.e., sending
> data to the computer). Instead, they set certain signals (like CTS,
> IIRC) to indicate their condition.

It even more complicated than that. The different models transmit
differing amounts of data. Whether the data port is serial or usb makes
no difference. The Back-UPS vs the Smart-UPS have a large amount of
functionality difference. The Backups is simpler and has only a timer
function. Once it goes on battery, the timer starts. At the end of the
timer, it send the shutdown command to the host.

The smartups has much more of a command set. It supports battery
condition testing and and can signal a power down when the battery falls
below a certain level. More importantly, it can hold of on powering back
up until the battery has reached a certain minimum runtime level.

On my current install, we have Smart-UPS XL 3000VA RM 3U models that
have both serial and USB connectors. The same data is on both ports.

One nice thing about these (and all Linux systems can be setup to do
this) is when the shutdown command is issued, the apcupsd can be told to
also send it to a group of other machines. In my current case, there are
several servers that run off the UPS in the rack. If the UPS is going
down that powers the main login/NFS-/home machine, every other server
will need to also shut down as they will have nothing they can do. If a
UPS signals to a boot/app server the remaining app servers can stay up.

So the UPS is told power back up when the AC as back and the batteries
are back up to enough time to allow a partially booted system to shut
down gracefully. The first box up is the NFS server. It will then tickle
the other machines with Wake-on LAN calls (as soon as I can finish that
process).