[K12OSN] Stuck User

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Tue Oct 17 18:54:48 UTC 2006

Carl-

>From your description, its hard to tell if you recreated the same *uids*
and are having trouble or not.

A few points:

1.  The gnome and gconf directories in ~/ don't get created until the
first time you log into a gnome session.  They don't come from /etc/skel

2.  When recreating users, be sure you recreate usernames with the
*same* uid as they had before.  Linux really only cares about uids and
gids (ie, numbers like 1000 or 1001) and then maps usernames (bob,
frank) to those numbers.  "bob" with uid 1000 is not the same user as
bob with uid 1001.

3.  If you recreate usernames with different uids, be sure to:

Also, be sure to delete the directories and files in the /tmp directory,
as many are created with names like "virtual-<username>", and your new
username with the different uid will get confused.

4.  Many times I have seen "stuck" sessions in Gnome because of hung
gconfd-2 processes that never died from previous sessions.  Killing that
process usually "unsticks" things.

Good luck,

-Gadi