[K12OSN] Adobe Reader/Firefox Mystery

Larry Mateo LarryM at fsusd.k12.ca.us
Thu Oct 19 18:44:48 UTC 2006

My environment:
K12LTSP v5.0.0
Firefox 1.5.0.7

I'm on the second of three servers onto which I am installing K12LTSP
v5.0.0. I'm doing the installs from scratch, removing all existing disk
partitions. On the first server, the K12 and Firefox installs went
without a hitch; this included installing the Adobe Acrobat Reader
v7.0.8 plugin for Firefox.

The current installation, however, is not going so well. I've installed
the K12 software and Firefox without issues, but Firefox doesn't seem to
want to recognize the Adobe Reader plugin. Adobe Reader's plugin file,
nppdf.so, is in the Firefox plugins folder, but Adobe Reader is not
listed when I do an about:plugins command from within the browser.
Additionally, when I browse to a site to test Adobe Reader, Firefox
wants to use evince to open the .pdf (no surprise there).

I've tried installing Adobe Reader v7.0.1 instead of v7.0.8, but the
problem persists.

Has anyone come across this mysterious activity, and if so, did you
find a fix?

Larry Mateo
Network Technician II
Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District
larrym at fsusd.k12.ca.us