[K12OSN] Flash 9 for Linux beta

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Fri Oct 20 17:45:33 UTC 2006

William Fragakis wrote:
> Whether or not one's a fan of Flash, a ton of educational sites use it.
> Any thoughts from anyone about Flash 9 not supporting esd and thus (the
> best I can tell) not having sound in ltsp?
>
> It's alsa only.

Thank God; it's about time Flash stopped using OSS.  Now that flash is
finally using ALSA it should be significantly *less* difficult to get
sound on the clients.  There may be some initial but it paves the way
for killing ESD for good and moving to PulseAudio.  Of course, the first
step is getting the PA server running on the clients to that PA clients
on the server can connect.  However, once that's done both the existing
ESD apps as well as all ALSA apps should be able to use sound as PA
provides an ALSA plugin and an ESD server plugin.

It does mean Eric and Jim have some work to do, but I'm sure they're up
to it ;-)

--Shahms