[K12OSN] New Kernel Issues!

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sat Oct 21 00:13:10 UTC 2006

Casey Mynott wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Kernel version 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 worked great! The newest version
> (2.6.18-1.2200.fc5) does not. I have read some forums and others are
> having the same problem. After initial boot a big X and the machine
> hangs. Switch back to the earlier kernel and everything is fine. Very
> odd. Any ideas anyone?
>
> Casey

Looking through the bug reports, the only one that looked like it might
be relevant relates to the SELinux networking code. The recommended fix
is to boot with this parameter:

	selinux_compat_net=1

(at the Grub boot screen, select the "2.6.18-1.2200.fc5" kernel, hit the
"e" key, select the "append...." line, hit the "e" key again, append the
"selinux_compat_net=1", hit the return key, then hit the "b" key )

-Or- you can boot back up with the earlier kernel that was working for
you and wait for the next update (which sounds like it will happen soon)

-Eric