[K12OSN] How to use K12LTSP on a standard internal subnet with an MS DHCP server.

Sean Harbour sharbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 24 16:30:49 UTC 2006

Actually, Windows DHCP server with K12LTSP on a regular internal network
works fine for us. Here are the settings we use on the Windows DHCP
server:

In this example, 192.168.0.10 is the K12LTSP server. This example also
works across multiple subnets or VLANS, that is, the clients can be on
an arbitrary subnet and still reach the K12LTSP server on another
subnet. Depending, of course, on whether your network people allow them
to talk to each other across subnets...This allows you to drop a K12LTSP
server onto an already established network and share it with Windows/Mac
PCs. A fully switched 100 Mb network with a Gigabit backbone is advised
if you want to do more than just demo it for a few clients.

Create a reservation for the mac address of each thin client.

Define the server and kernel path:
Option 017
192.168.0.10:/opt/ltsp/i386

Define the preferred boot server host name:
Option 066
192.168.0.10

Define the bootfile:
Option 067
/lts/pxe/pxelinux.0

The rest of the settings should be default for your network scope, and
should not need to be changed. For reference, ours look like this:
(The numbers have been changed to protect the guilty)

Option 003 Router
192.168.0.1

Option 051 Lease
0x278d00