[K12OSN] latop sometimes ldap/nfs

Peter Hartmann ascensiontech at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 21:31:29 UTC 2006

Hey John,
Yes I guess I'm looking for a local/domain type of login.   The whole
reason behind this is to allow our Development person to connect her
Sony camera (i forget the exact model just now) to upload pictures to
her /home.  I had trouble doing this with CentOS 4.3 which is what our
LTSP version is based on.  This camera works great with FC5 out of the
box.  Right now I have the laptop authenticating to smbldap and
mounting nfs to accommodate her.   It would be nice if I could get
this laptop to be functional outside of our local environment.

> different design and it doesn't work that way. Changing your authentication
> realm, at login, on the fly is the biggest obstacle.

Hmmm...surprising tht the open source would be less flexible in this way.

I think I'll just leave ldap out of it and try this: make some
"local-user-accounts" and "nfs-user-accounts" in /etc/passwd and in
/etc/fstab mount /home/nfs-user1   on nfs.    If the laptop is outside
our environment the failing nfs mount of that user shouldn't be big
deal.  Sound feasible?

Thanks,
Peter