[K12OSN] Room Layout

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Oct 25 13:39:04 UTC 2006

A note about laptops: My company just donated about 100 Dell laptops to my school for
use in our 'five-to-ten clients in each classroom pilot that needs a better name"
project.  It was a real win-win situation: the company is paying to have a whole bunch
of old equipment hauled off, and I reduced the cost of that substantially by taking the
laptops.  At the same time, the laptops are great as thin clients because they have
built-in ethernet, PXE boot, are silent (because we took the hard drives out since we
don't need them), take less space than desktops, use less power, and only require one
electrical outlet.

My point is that I suspect that there are many opportunities for this kind of win-win
arrangement.  I suggest inquiring with local businesses as to whether they have any such
pools of old laptops, either asking them directly or through the students' parents who
are employees of such companies.  In my case, I just got lucky and happened to ask about
the laptops right before they were hauled off.

Petre