[K12OSN] Room Layout

sonjag at comcast.net sonjag at comcast.net
Wed Oct 25 14:49:14 UTC 2006

I also like an arrangement around the room with monitors facing in for the same reasons, and my computer lab is set up that way . However for my classrooms, because of the different projects and management of students there, we set them up as "pods" in the room of 4 to 6 computers (2 to 3 tables.) The teachers who have these rooms prefer it.

One of the rooms I put this in is an LA room. She has 5 pods of 4 computers, none of which are along the outside walls. She uses the edges of the room to create reading centers, and also houses her library and her conference area on the outside of the room. The pods work well for peer conferencing.

The other room is a science room, and she has 4 pods of 6 computers. She prefers the pods because she has small groups working together as well as labs (she covers the computer tables with vinyl tablecloths) that require her to have larger deskspace. She stores her equipment and books around the outside of the room. This is a science room without sinks or science countertops, and she doesn't use many liquids.

My 7th and 8th grade science room has built in counters and sinks with running water, so computer tables were impractical. He preferred to have 6 computers (he has 6 science groups per class), which we mounted to the wall over his lab counter. We purchased monitor mounting kits, and hung the terminal from one of those plastic picture hangers that have double stick tape for wall mounting. Since these do have water, so it was nice to get them off the countertop completely.

We did discuss the inability to see what everystudent is doing from one vantage point, but decided that we would forego this feature because setting them up this way works better for the reasons listed above.

Sonja
From: "Mike Oliveri" <moliveri at rb60.com>