[K12OSN] is it possible to use Windows DHCP server with LTSP?

Burroughs, Henry HBurroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Wed Oct 25 17:07:43 UTC 2006

John,

Here's my config from Windows 2003 R2 DHCP: (which hands out pxe
successfully).  You have to tweak the bootfile parameter for etherboot
systems.  I used it to hand out DHCP across multiple subnets, our
central router does a DHCP/BOOTP relay to the IP address of the dhcp
server.

Global Options:
Option Name	Vendor	Value	Class
006 DNS Servers	Standard	10.142.1.7, 10.142.1.11	None
015 DNS Domain Name	Standard	hhp.hhprep.org	None
017 Root Path	Standard	192.168.0.5:/opt/ltsp/i386	None
044 WINS/NBNS Servers	Standard	10.142.1.7, 10.142.1.11	None
046 WINS/NBT Node Type	Standard	0x8	None
066 Boot Server Host Name	Standard	discovery.media.local
None
067 Bootfile Name	Standard	/lts/pxe/pxelinux.0	None

You really don't need to worry about the WINS stuff.  Also, I'm
transitioning my domains, so I have some stuff on the old "MEDIA.LOCAL",
and some on the new "HHP.HHPREP.ORG" so it looks a little wonky.

Within each subnet config, I add the default gateway/router.  That's it.
Remember, this config is for PXE bootable images.  Change the Bootfile
name to the Etherboot one if you need that as the default.  Windows DHCP
doesn't do the nice if/else selection of Bootfiles.... I personally am
going to redo all my thin-client hd installs and setup those etherboot
images to boot PXE.

Hope this helps.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director