[K12OSN] How do you block DHCP requests from the clients from being forwarded onto your external interface

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 18:19:51 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 11:23, marrandy wrote:
> Hello.
>
> 1)   How do you block DHCP requests from the clients from being forwarded
> onto your external interface ?

First, broadcasts should never be propagated beyond the LAN they originated on
(that is the standard IP protocol and dhcp behavior).  Second, in most cases
the LTSP server with two interfaces doesn't usually require that packet
forwarding be turned on at all (that is no packets get forwarded from
"inside" to "outside" interfaces at all), that is the difference between a
dual-homed host and a router. If your interfaces are on the same LAN, then
disregard this.

Assuming your interfaces are on different LANs, what makes you believe that
dhcp broadcasts are being forwarded? My guess is that you are seeing
broadcast dhcp requests from the "other LAN" that your external inteface is
on and not from your X terminals on the "inside" LAN.

> 2) The GUI firewall control leaves a lot to be desired.  Is there anything
> better ?

That depends on what you mean by "better"? You could always use the command
line if you need more functionality. What is it you desire?

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |