[K12OSN] Re: Responses to the central office

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Wed Oct 25 19:45:20 UTC 2006

Hi Todd,

We had to deal with this kind of resistance and more, and here's how we
dealt with the various issues:

1.  Keeping it off the district network: Fine, we found many classrooms
had two independent Cat5 wires going to the room, so we used one for the
district network to the teacher's PC (and any windows PCs required for
special purposes) and the other one to feed the K12LTSP servers in each
class.  We fed the Internet to the K12LTSP servers via a business class
cable modem (6-10 Mbps, $100/month) connected to Squidgard/Dansguardian
firewall in IDF.  Ultimately, the PTA paid $9000 to run 40 new Cat6
ports from three switches, one to each room and some in hallways (for
laptop carts), but finally the district acquiesced and said it would do
a pilot of K12LTSP.  The new wiring was timely, as they wanted to do a
centralized server model, which requires Gbit/sec to each classroom. But
if they hadn't agreed to the pilot, we could have had two independent
networks, one for teachers and admin PCs fed by district Internet, and
the other fed by cable modem to all the K12LTSP servers and student thin
clients.

2.  Concern for messing up teacher IP addresses: A district technician
came in one day early on in our deployment and rewired a server and it
began happily handing out IP addresses to the teacher's PCs, shutting
off their Internet access.  That was when the district finally realized
that we had moved ahead with our deployment.  Solution: hardcode the MAC
addresses of each client to an IP address from each server.  Then, even
if miswired, the LTSP server can't give IP addresses to the win PCs.

3.  Managing server/configuration: Linux allows secure login to manage
each server from anywhere in the network.  With Webmin, it's GUI and
easy.  And you can manage more Linux servers more effectively from a
single location than with Windows.

4. Agree with previous posts on routers as commonplace in home and
business networks now.  Point out that his home Cable/DSL router is most
likely running Linux.

5.  Troubleshooting network problems caused by non-managed computers on
the network can be incredibly difficult: Reality, from all of this
groups' collective experience I'm sure, is that it is *easier* to
manage, and the Linux computers *are* managed, but by built-in
capabilities instead of purchased software.  Built in Linux management
capabilities exceed those of LANDesk currently, e.g., especially given
that you can manage all those old Win 95/98 thin clients now, whereas
you couldn't before using proprietary tools.  Point out that the
experience of others is that managing the K12LTSP servers has proved to
be *significantly* less time consuming than Windows platforms.

Regarding cost benefits, note the following:

Thin clients running Open Source Software lower the total cost of
ownership of technology for schools in the following ways:

   1.  Lower acquistion cost by at least 50%, typically more.  Software
cost is zero.
   2.  Lower operational cost via reduced electricity requirements:  1/5
Wattage of normal PC, plus smaller form factor: you can fit twice the
number of thin clients on the same table.  Space and electricity were
the final challenges we had at Brandon as we moved to a 2:1 classroom model.
   4.  Lower support cost: you only manage the servers, and one server
can run up to 100 thin clients.  Linux admin can manage more PCs than
equivalent Windows admin.
   5.  Lower cost of retirement: thin clients weigh less than 1/5 of
normal PCs and schools have to pay by the pound to have them hauled off.

Plus, you can put dozens of modern educational software applications in
front of your students for free, and can burn CDs with the software for
the kids to take home and use there.  Open Source Software is free to
use and distribute as one desires.  Figure out the cost of providing
copies of MS office for every home with a PC, let alone Adobe Photoshop,
a 3-D rendering package like the GIMP (doesn't exist, and by the way
most Hollywood animation outfits have switched to Linux/GIMP), etc...

Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Howard