[K12OSN] Basic Questions

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 22:08:53 UTC 2006

Woot. I can be helpful.

You can create groups and provide permission on a group basis. I'm using
Ubuntu, which has adduser and addgroup tools. K12LTSP may, too. Check
for these by typing

man adduser

man addgroup

If they don't exist, you have to use useradd and groupadd, which are
slightly pickier.

To set the group of a program, use the chgrp command

chgrp teachers some-program

would put some-program in the teachers group. To give everyone in that
group permission to run it, use the chmod command

chmod g=xr some-program
chmod o-xrw some-program

The first command says that members of the program's (g)roup have
e(x)ecute and (r)ead permission. (The equal sign sets the permission.)
The second says all (o)ther users have no permissions. (The minus sign
takes away permission, and in addition to execute and read, makes sure
that other users cannot (w)rite over the program.)

Hope that helps,
Todd