[K12OSN] Basic Questions

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Oct 25 22:45:01 UTC 2006

Hi Derek ;-)

Derek Jaques wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   It has been great to have this forum as a source of reference for all
> things K12LTSP.  Mostly been just listening for the last month or so.  I
> am lucky enough to have Eric Harrison 15 miles from me, so he has been
> an invaluable asset.  In about 6 hours of his time he has set up our
> network, installed the software, streamlined our two new Dell servers
> and made about 30 HP circa 1998 computer work as terminals, and shown
> one total newbie the basics of how to run K12LTSP.  Just wanted to ask a
> few very trivial questions.  (I am sure I will ask more over the course
> of the next year)
> 1.  How do you allow permissions for specific programs per user.  (we
> are using LDAP for authentication)  For example:  I would love to give
> every teacher the ability to use the FLK teacher tool, but obviously not
> students.

Step 5, "Setting Up Fl_TeacherTool to run with sudo", of the
Fl_TeacherTool web page shows you how to set this up:

http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/

> 2.  Is there a C compiler that comes stock with K12LTSP?

Yes, already installed on your server.

"gcc" is the C compiler

"g++" is the C++ compiler

"mcs" is the C# compiler

"monodevelop" is an integrated development environment for mono (C#)

"eclipse" is an integrated development environment for C & Java

A ton of scripting languages are also installed. Perl, Python, PHP, and
ruby are the most commonly used.

-Eric