[K12OSN] using Apple Open Directory for authentication

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 26 01:49:01 UTC 2006

First the good news: We're working on a ten-classroom pilot of K12LTSP
in one of the elementary schools, putting small servers (Celeron, 1GB
RAM) and 5-8 clients in each classroom, similar to what Daniel & William
did in Atlanta.

The tricky part: The district uses Apple Open Directory for user
authentication and some sort of centralized storage.  Is anyone using
this with K12LTSP?  For the storage, we'll just NFS-mount the users'
home directories, but for that to work we've got to have the K12LTSP
servers pointing to the AOD for authentication.  I'm not a Mac person
and I'm not familiar with AOD.  As I understand it, it's basically LDAP,
and I suspect I just need to do some PAM configuration to point to it.
Can anyone offer any advice on this or point to any how-to's?  Thanks.

Petre