[K12OSN] using Apple Open Directory for authentication

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 10:44:49 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 22:35, Peter Scheie wrote:
> After digging into it a bit, I'm wondering if it's just a matter of
> running system-config-authentication and using the GUI tool to tell the
> linux server to use LDAP for user info and authentication, and point it
> to the AOD server in the configuration (?).
>
> Petre

Assuming that AOD is based on LDAP, it is important that the schema used
contain what Linux needs. If AOD contains the objectclasses and attributes
that are included in the Openldap "nis.schema" it should be possible for
Linux to use it. A further potential issue is encryption. Does AOD use TLS or
Kerberos? If so your Linux hosts will need to use it too.

The LDAP authentication in Linux is pretty flexible; if it weren't it couldn't
use Active Directory. It may take some re-mapping of attributes, but it
should be doable.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |