[K12OSN] video editing software comments

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 01:36:58 UTC 2006

Hello,

I would like to second Kivo.  I have never used it, but I know people
who have and it came highly recommended.  BUT, it is my understanding
that it would not be good to run it in a terminal environment.  If
you've ever done video editing on a Windows computer, you'll know that
it is very processor intensive.  If you attempted to do the same thing
on a terminal, which only gets a share of the processing power.  Plus,
all that video has to go down the wire from the client to the server,
then back to be displayed on the screen.

I have heard that the LTSP crew is working on something that will make
the server aware of the capability of the client, and will push
intensive jobs to a client that is capable of handling it.

And thanks Calvin.  I'm currently dual booting between XP (when I
absolutely have to) and Ubuntu, with plans of never going to Vista.  I
have to do a lot of video editing for my job, so I intend to use your
hints.

Eric