[K12OSN] root-path or dhcp issue but only after 2nd client connection

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Sat Oct 28 15:05:19 UTC 2006

My guess is that you have another DHCP server on the same network.

Possibly a cable modem/router, or a windows box, or another linux box
serving up DHCP to the network.

The first time you boot the client, the "other" dhcp server is slow to
respond, probably because it's swapped out or something. So, the first
request is the 'wakeup call', and by the time you reboot the thin client,
the "other" dhcp server is ready to answer requests, and it's beating your
LTSP dhcp server to the punch.

That's my guess anyway.

To really test it, make sure you completely isolate your LTSP server and
your client.  Make sure there's nothing else on that physical network, and
try booting the client.

Also, any chance you have both eth0 and eth1 of the server plugged into
the same network switch?

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org