[K12OSN] Create gnome shortcut icon to another file server

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Sun Oct 29 23:12:22 UTC 2006

Rob Owens wrote:
> --- Peter Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
>
>> remote directory.  I
>> supposed I could create a script that calls sshfs,
>> and once mounted,
>> calls Nautilus's file manager pointed at the
>> mountpoint; what's the
>> syntax for that?  Or is there a better way?
>>
>> Petre
>
> nautilus --no-desktop /path/to/folder
>
> The --no-desktop option might not be necessary if
> you're using Gnome, but in order to keep Nautilus off
> my XFCE desktop, I need to use it.
>
> -Rob

That works.  Thanks.  For the record, the --no-desktop isn't necessary
in my case since I'm already running the gnome desktop.  The full story
on what I did was create this script and then create a launcher that
calls it:

sshfs remotesrv: $HOME/.remote
nautilus $HOME/.remote

I made the mountpoint a hidden directory to keep people from accidently
deleting it or saving files under it when the remote host wasn't
mounted.  Then I  put

fusermount -u $HOME/.remote

in /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default to unmount it when the user logs out.
BTW, there's also a Default.ltsp in that directory, put putting the
fusermount in that didn't work.

Petre