[K12OSN] Re: build your own thin client

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Oct 30 18:25:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 11:40 -0600, Mike Oliveri wrote:

>> From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On
>> Behalf Of Huck
>> *Huck's ears perk up at the mention of 'assortment' of monitoring
>> software*

>> Cacti is rock'n...and BackupPC...heavenly...
>> any other tidbits of fun administrative software to share?

> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 11:40 -0600, Mike Oliveri wrote:
> If you have a lot of systems and services to monitor, check out Nagios:
> www.nagios.org

Some of the stuff I need to display is home-grown and specialized
and I'd just like to replace the multi-headed windows boxes with
thin clients.  But, some is cacti and some is a program called
'spong' that I found many years ago.  It is still around at
http://spong.sourceforge.net/ but I'd probably use nagios or
zabbix for small-scale things that do notifications if I were
starting now.   However I need something that scales up and does
both snmp and other probes and does historical graphs along with
notifications.   I think that's going to be opennms although
it is more difficult than some of the others to install since it
needs the Sun jdk and tomcat as the web server installed first.
http://www.opennms.org.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com