[K12OSN] Re: build your own thin client

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Oct 30 21:08:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 12:58 -0600, Mike Oliveri wrote:
> I know a few guys who installed OpenNMS following this guide without
> undue difficulty:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/opennms_network_management
>
> I don't have any direct experience with OpenNMS myself, but I hear it's
> slick.

OpenNMS itself is packaged in a few RPMs that will drop into
CentOS or the EL version of k12ltsp - perhaps the fedora based ones
also.  There are just two complications: you need a working
tomcat install first - you can get that with yum from the jpackage
repository after following their instructions for building the
non-free (you have to click the Sun agreement...) java and jta
packages.  Second, most of the options are set by hand-editing
a large set of xml files that aren't very well documented.  Fortunately
the defaults are pretty useful so you only have to change a few
things to get started.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com