[K12OSN] login screen with KDM

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Oct 31 19:20:48 UTC 2006

I'm looking into using KDM instead of GDM because I want to setup some workstations to
autologin (for younger kids).  I changed to KDM by adding DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE to
/etc/sysconfig/desktop and then ran gdm-stop which caused gdm to stop and kdm to start.
  As such, the login screen has changed from the GDM greeter with the picture of the
school kids to just a blue Fedora login screen.  Logging into KDE and choosing Control
Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager, it appears that even with KDM I should
see the same thing as with GDM, the school kids picture, but I don't.  Nor does changing
any of the Appearance settings within the Login Manager seem to change anything. Any
explanations for this disconnect and how to fix it?

Petre