[K12OSN] Teacher access to teacher tool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 21:08:29 UTC 2006

On 9/1/06, Dan Visentin <visentind at hdsb.ca > wrote:

>  Well I took the plunge and installed the x86_64 version and everything
> seems pretty cool.  One problem... fl_teachertool works great when logged in
> as root but teachers cannot get it to work properly.  When trying to
> monitor/control I get an "Opening password file failed".  All teachers are
> in a "teachers" group and I did the visudo modification as discussed on your
> website.  Also I did copy /root/.vnc to the ltsp tree though not sure if
> this was necessary or desirable.  I also used " %teachers

Before copying you must set a password for vnc

#/usr/bin/vncpasswd

after setting the password then copy the password file into the ltsp-tree
with this line

#cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/

Don't forget to uncomment (remove the #) from the line x4_module_02=vnc in
lts.conf and then reboot your clients.

 ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/fl_teachertool" instead of  "%teachers
>  ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/sbin/Fl_TeacherTool" assuming that it is outdated.

Yes, I should change that on my homepage. The /usr/local/sbin  dir is used
if you install it from the tarball. Yum puts it in /usr/sbin and there are
no capitals. Thanks for pointing that out.

Any suggestions?

> Dan Visentin
> M. M. Robinson H.S.
> "As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing."

Robert Arkiletian