[K12OSN] edit global settings for preferences for all users?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 11:01:36 UTC 2006

I don't know if you ever got a good answer to this
question or not.  You can start by reading here:
http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-4.1/ltsp-4.1-en.html#AEN1190

Chapters 9 and 10 have details about settings you can
specify in the lts.conf file.  This file contains
mostly hardware-related stuff, like video drivers,
mouse type, screen resolution, etc.

For settings that fall more under "user preferences",
such as desktop background, default settings for
OpenOffice (or other programs), you'll find a "dot
file" in each user's home directory for just about
every application on the system.  For instance, there
will be a .openoffice file or folder, a .gimp file or
folder, etc. (sometimes the version number is
included, such as .openoffice2 or .gimp-2.2).  You can
copy user1's .openoffice folder to user2's home
directory and that transfers user1's settings to
user2.  (You need to make sure that you give user2
ownership of his new .openoffice folder like this:
chown -R user2.user2 .openoffice)

-Rob