[K12OSN] OOo Impress crashes with LTSP v4.2

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 19:19:34 UTC 2006

I have run across an annoying little "gotcha" using LTSP v4.2 (updated to
latest via ltspadmin). Everything works as expected *except* when attempting
to run any slide show in OOo Impress. Using Impress to create or convert a
presentation works fine, you just can't view the slideshow from a diskless
workstation. Once the screen clears and the first slide appears, the
application closes. This only happens for diskless workstations running as
X-terminals; running the same application via VNC or via X on a stand-alone
(on the same server) workstation works fine.

In order to narrow the problem space, I installed LTSP v4.1 and tested the
same application from a diskless X-terminal works fine. This indicates to me
that it is something in the kernel or on the root directory of the diskless
terminal.

The problem seems to be either in the LTSP kernel or Xorg server supplied with
LTSP v4.2.

My setup uses K12LTSP v5.0.0 (Fedora Core 5) with all updates installed and
LTSP updated via ltspadmin. I have tried kernel versions 2.6.17.3 and
2.6.17.8 with the same results.

Has anyone run across this problem?

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |